Search This Blog

Help me be NOT poor.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Employment!

I can haz job!

I started a job today! I lost my last full-time job on June 13, 2013 and started this new job exactly 9 months later.

It's just like a pregnancy, except all I gave birth to was debt and sadness.  I applied everywhere and got turned down or straight up ignored by almost everyone.  Most recently, I applied for - and was turned down for -  a Team Leader position with the local General Mills plant. I still have a shot at a QC role in a local flavor company, so I'm still hopeful for that.

The job I got is a low wage job driving vans for a rail transportation company.  Basically, I will be driving rail workers from one rail yard to another.  I will make $8.67 per hour during training and while waiting at the rail yard for rail workers to show up. I'll make 20.5 cents a mile once I start driving, them; so as long as I average 55 mph, I'll make over $11 per hour.  We'll see how the pay shakes out.

If I get offered the QC, job, I'm taking it.

I'm still poor, but at least now I'll have an income. I can start treading water and stop drowning.

4 comments:

  1. Any movement forward is great! Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy for you! When you stop falling backwards, that's still forward progress. Good luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! So happy to hear this, we always say "good thing about being on the bottom is that there is only one way to go and that is UP!" This has to be such a relief for you! Great, Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news! You're on you're way. Now that you have a job you'll find more opportunities. When I was down and out after a great paying bank management job, I took a job pulling weeds at $8.65 on a businesswoman's estate. Wouldn't you know it, the perfect bank management job opened and I was hired for only a month working for that woman. I felt so bad when I gave my notice to her. But I think your attitude changes when you're actually working and earning money. I truly think attitude has a lot to do with getting a job. Again, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete